Cumbrian couple's caravan wrecked after garden bonfire spreads
Last updated at 13:00, Wednesday, 25 June 2014
People have been urged not to fear calling the fire service after a couple battled a caravan blaze themselves.
Bruce Wilson, watch manager at Carlisle East fire station, made the call after attending an incident in How Mill, near Brampton.
The couple had lit a bonfire in their garden – on How Street – yesterday afternoon. It spread under their caravan, which quickly caught fire.
Mr Wilson said the residents had spent 30 minutes unsuccessfully trying to put the fire out themselves with a hose pipe before eventually dialling 999 shortly after 1.40pm.
Crews from Carlisle and Brampton took half an hour to put the blaze out.
Mr Wilson said: “Don’t be afraid to get us out, we would rather come out to a little fire than a big one.”
The fire left the caravan, which was used for storage, badly damaged.
Nobody was injured by the blaze, however, Mr Wilson added: “I think it gave them a nasty shock.”
First published at 12:01, Wednesday, 25 June 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Italian chain planning Carlisle city centre restaurant (7 comments)
- West Cumbrian police station will not be casualty of cuts, MP told (3 comments)
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- Primark to open store in Carlisle (111 comments)
- Fire stations and care homes at risk in Cumbria council cuts (47 comments)
- Cumbria police may be reduced to 'blue light' service if funding cuts go-ahead (63 comments)
- Lawyers told to find way out of Carlisle hospital's 'crippling' PFI contract (50 comments)
Court & crime
- No room for hate in a broken heart
- We shouldn’t lose sight of the kindness and compassion (8 comments)
- Primed not to care (2 comments)
- Not just cutout cops who face the chop (5 comments)
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|