Councillors to decide age rating for cinema's concert screening
Last updated at 12:47, Monday, 04 August 2014
Councillors are meeting to make an unusual decision – the age rating for an Andre Rieu concert.
Workington’s Plaza Cinema wants to show the popular classical violinist and composer’s Maastrict Concert, which he performed live at The Netherlands last month.
But because the rating granted by the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) expired two weeks ago, it’s down to Allerdale’s Licensing Committee to award a new one.
At Wednesday’s meeting committee members will watch a DVD of the King of Waltz, before making their decision. They can agree to grant one of five ratings between Universal or age 18.
The cinema, at Dunmail Park, has already shown the concert twice and because it was a resounding success with many disappointed fans being turned away, decided to screen it again.
Charlotte Kennedy, marketing manager for Graves (Cumberland) Ltd which owns the Plaza, said: “We had such a phenomenal response to our two recent Andre Rieu shows at the Plaza that we felt it was essential to screen the show again to provide those who missed out last time with a chance to see it in its full cinematic glory.”
The BBFC certification was 12A. Gillian Collinson, Allerdale’s senior land charges and licensing officer, said Rieu’s concert lasted around two hours and 40 minutes.
“A request has been received from Cinema Live to consider the certification of a film scheduled to be shown at the Plaza Cinema in Workington,” she added. “The cinema would like to encore the cinema broadcast of Andre Rieu’s Maastricht Concert on August 13. However, as this is a broadcast via satellite, the BBFC rating only lasts from seven days of the live screening, which took place on July 19, meaning that the encore date of August 13 is outside of this certification.”
She added that certification was needed to enable the one-off screening to go ahead.
First published at 12:44, Monday, 04 August 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)