Council's special meeting over plans for 320 new homes
Published at 09:32, Thursday, 03 July 2014
Plans for 320 new homes on land at Strawberry How will be discussed at a special meeting of Cockermouth town council tonight.
The application from Story Homes has attracted around 70 objections from people during a consultation over the scheme.
Members of the town council have called tonight’s special meeting to draw up its own response to the planning application before a final decision is taken by Allerdale’s development panel.
Objectors have put forward a number of objections against the scheme, including: heightened flood risk, traffic congestion, parking problems and the demand on the town’s schools and hospital.
When Story Homes’ idea was first revealed last year, hundreds of protestors attended a public meeting to show their opposition.
About 300 people took part in a public consultation and most were against the plans.
The firm has proposed a package of measures to promote site accessibility including a new bus service and a range of pedestrian and cycle route improvements to connect the site with surrounding areas.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)