Sponsorship secured for charity concert in Carlisle
Last updated at 13:15, Tuesday, 26 February 2013
A man who has raised nearly £6,500 in his father’s memory is celebrating after securing sponsorship for his next concert.
Kelvin Wood will stage his fourth LW Rock for Macmillan Cancer concert later this year after starting the annual event in memory of his father, Lance, who died from cancer in 2009.
He said he was delighted to have secured support from Garry Phillips, an agricultural and motor engineer from Roadhead in north Cumbria.
Black Lace are headlining this year’s event, together with Cindy Hoten, Red Spider, Dougie B and Plastic Paddy, as well as Kelvin’s group, The Mass.
Ryan Dollard from ITV Border will return as host.
“It’s taken a lot of research and hard work but steadily I’ve been building up a list of contacts for future events,” said Kelvin, of Scaleby.
“Having Jimmy Cricket as the first major signing this year has opened a lot of doors for the concert.
“For me it’s a case of trying to get something that my dad would’ve liked. If you don’t ask you don’t get – but I never imagined it to be as big as it is now.”
He said he was over the moon to secure names like Black Lace.
He introduced The Lance Wood Helping Hand Award last year where everyone attending the gig was asked to suggest a charity and a name is pulled out of a hat on the night to receive a £200 donation.
- This year’s event takes place on September 14. Tickets are available by calling 07854 501129 or from The Shepherds Inn, where it takes place, and cost £20.
First published at 13:07, Tuesday, 26 February 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)