College student sold cannabis from his home, Carlisle court told
Last updated at 11:38, Thursday, 29 November 2012
A man has been spared an immediate prison sentence after admitting supplying cannabis.
Ben Hopkinson, 21, was given a suspended sentence for a number of drug crimes carried out earlier this year.
Hopkinson, a college student who lives in Old London Road, Penrith, also pleaded guilty to possessing a Class B drug with intent to supply it.
Carlisle Crown Court was told how police raided his home on June 15 and seized cannabis bush.
Dick Binstead, prosecuting, said further cannabis was found on a second visit by the police to his home in July.
“He acknowledged he was selling cannabis from his home to meet a significant cannabis debt he had himself,” Mr Binstead told the court.
Anthony Wilson, in mitigation, said Hopkinson had been using cannabis “quite heavily”.
The court heard the total amount of cannabis seized had a street value of about £70.
It was a relatively small amount that he was going to sell to a small group of friends.
Judge Paul Batty QC, passing sentence, said Hopkinson’s references spoke about him turning his life around.
Hopkinson admitted two charges of possessing cannabis with intent to supply it and a single charge of supplying the drug.
He was sentenced to 12 months in prison for each charge, to run concurrently and to be suspended for a year.
Hopkinson must also be supervised for a year and take part in drug rehabilitation for six months.
First published at 11:34, Thursday, 29 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)