College student sold cannabis from his home, Carlisle court told
Last updated at 11:38, Thursday, 29 November 2012
A man has been spared an immediate prison sentence after admitting supplying cannabis.
Ben Hopkinson, 21, was given a suspended sentence for a number of drug crimes carried out earlier this year.
Hopkinson, a college student who lives in Old London Road, Penrith, also pleaded guilty to possessing a Class B drug with intent to supply it.
Carlisle Crown Court was told how police raided his home on June 15 and seized cannabis bush.
Dick Binstead, prosecuting, said further cannabis was found on a second visit by the police to his home in July.
“He acknowledged he was selling cannabis from his home to meet a significant cannabis debt he had himself,” Mr Binstead told the court.
Anthony Wilson, in mitigation, said Hopkinson had been using cannabis “quite heavily”.
The court heard the total amount of cannabis seized had a street value of about £70.
It was a relatively small amount that he was going to sell to a small group of friends.
Judge Paul Batty QC, passing sentence, said Hopkinson’s references spoke about him turning his life around.
Hopkinson admitted two charges of possessing cannabis with intent to supply it and a single charge of supplying the drug.
He was sentenced to 12 months in prison for each charge, to run concurrently and to be suspended for a year.
Hopkinson must also be supervised for a year and take part in drug rehabilitation for six months.
First published at 11:34, Thursday, 29 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (22 comments)
- Cumbria police to use drones to help tackle crime (21 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (118 comments)
- Widow's anguish as thieves target Pc Bill Barker's grave (7 comments)
- Farmfoods given consent for supermarket at Carlisle's Shaddongate (31 comments)
- West House loses cafe contract at hospital (19 comments)
- Council hands out £3,000 in parking fines in one street in four months (44 comments)
- Cumbria Pride crisis as Carlisle LGBT centre to close (58 comments)