Cocktail bar to open in old Whitehaven club
Last updated at 11:14, Saturday, 10 November 2012
Whitehaven's dwindling nightlife is to get a welcome boost thanks to a new wine and cocktail bar opening in the former Gallachers nightclub building.
Manhattans Wine and Cocktail bar will open on the middle floor of the Tangier Street building next month.
A Whitehaven family of 13 bought the building when it went up for auction last month. It was Dawn Hill-Eades’ winning bid that secured the deal and since then the family have been working to transform the building.
Mrs Hill-Eades’ nephew Ryan Walker said that there are plans to open the former Cellar Bar, on the bottom floor of the three-storey building, for Christmas before it closes again while undergoing a transformation into a sports bar. And the family wants to open the top floor of the building as a nightclub next year.
Mr Walker said: “We don’t have the time at the moment to refurbish the whole building – we just want to get something open as soon as possible.”
The new bar will serve wine, cocktails, coffee and real ales from December 1 and will be open until 2am on Friday and Saturday and 1am on Thursday and Sunday.
When the building went to auction last month it had a guide price of £80,000 to £100,000 but eventually sold for £134,000.
First published at 10:26, Saturday, 10 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)