Cocktail bar to open in old Whitehaven club
Last updated at 11:14, Saturday, 10 November 2012
Whitehaven's dwindling nightlife is to get a welcome boost thanks to a new wine and cocktail bar opening in the former Gallachers nightclub building.
Manhattans Wine and Cocktail bar will open on the middle floor of the Tangier Street building next month.
A Whitehaven family of 13 bought the building when it went up for auction last month. It was Dawn Hill-Eades’ winning bid that secured the deal and since then the family have been working to transform the building.
Mrs Hill-Eades’ nephew Ryan Walker said that there are plans to open the former Cellar Bar, on the bottom floor of the three-storey building, for Christmas before it closes again while undergoing a transformation into a sports bar. And the family wants to open the top floor of the building as a nightclub next year.
Mr Walker said: “We don’t have the time at the moment to refurbish the whole building – we just want to get something open as soon as possible.”
The new bar will serve wine, cocktails, coffee and real ales from December 1 and will be open until 2am on Friday and Saturday and 1am on Thursday and Sunday.
When the building went to auction last month it had a guide price of £80,000 to £100,000 but eventually sold for £134,000.
First published at 10:26, Saturday, 10 November 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Dogs banned from some parks and spaces in Cumbria (55 comments)
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (47 comments)
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (109 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (34 comments)
- Have your say on how much to pay Cumbria's county councillors
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (13 comments)
- Health chiefs' secret plans to split north Cumbria's hospitals (47 comments)
- Bid to use BT phone kiosks to house defibrillators (18 comments)
- Theft-hit Carlisle church forced to close its doors (13 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"