Circular building focus of Roman dig in Maryport
Last updated at 13:29, Thursday, 12 June 2014
A circular building, which could be a second temple, is the focus of the fourth University of Newcastle dig at Maryport's Roman fort.
The excavations have been commissioned by the Senhouse Museum Trust after archaeologists last year confirmed the remains of a rectangular building on the site was almost definitely a classic-type temple. It was, therefore, the most north westerly temple known in the Roman Empire.
Dig director, Professor Ian Haynes, said it was possible that the circular building next to it was a mausoleum of some kind, though he doubts it.
He said the structure closely resembles Arthur’s O’on, a circular Roman temple discovered in Scotland which was destroyed after being excavated.
Prof Haynes said he is also looking at ditches which he believes could provide “finds that might not seem spectacular but could provide us with vital information about how the Roman army and the civilian settlements attached to the forts lived.”
He said there is a lot of information about the Roman frontiers in the second and third centuries but very little in the fourth. “I am hoping these excavations will help us to solve some of the puzzle,” he said, as the dig was opened up to the media yesterday.
Senhouse trustee, Rachel Newman, said the idea is to put the museum’s internationally-renowned Roman altar collection into context.
The altars were found on site but appeared to be being used as building materials.
Heritage consultant and Hadrian’s Wall expert, Nigel Mills, said the excavations of the fort and civilian settlement in Maryport were important. “In fact the work being done all down the West Coast is of interest and is attracting more and more visitors,” he said.
First published at 13:27, Thursday, 12 June 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)