X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Friday, 19 September 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Child sex charges dropped against Cumbrian man

All charges have been dropped against a man who was accused of 10 child sex offences.

The case against John Ismay Blair, 72, was discontinued at Carlisle Crown Court.

Mr Blair, of Meadow Bank, Oughterside, near Aspatria, had been charged with 10 offences of engaging in a sexual act with an under-aged teenage girl.

These allegations related to dates between August 23, 2012 and August 31 last year, court papers stated.

Mr Blair appeared before Carlisle Magistrates’ Court last year and the case was referred to the city’s crown court.

The case was then discontinued by prosecutors at the crown court.

A spokeswoman for the Crown Prosecution Service said this was due to “evidential reasons”.

Afterwards the CPS said: “All cases remain under continuous review after defendants are charged.

“A further detailed review of this case was conducted in December.

“At this stage a decision was taken that there was insufficient evidence for a realistic prospect of conviction and the CPS wrote to Carlisle Crown Court formally discontinuing the case.”

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

News & Star What's On search





Vote

Have closing arguments in the Scottish referendum campaign influenced your view on independence?

I'm now in favour of the Union

I now think Scotland should go it alone

I still don't know

My mind has not been changed by political frenzy

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for:
NEWS & STAR ON: