Cash grabbed in armed robbery at Cumbrian store
Last updated at 10:15, Saturday, 21 January 2012
An armed robber threatened terrified staff in a busy Carlisle shop before grabbing cash from the till and fleeing.
Police were at the scene and began searching the area within minutes of the raid on the Foreways convenience store on Bedford Road at 5.50pm.
Officers were last night still searching for the weapon used in the robbery after arresting a 27-year-old Carlisle man in a nearby house.
Sergeant Jenny Beattie, of Cumbria police, said: “We’re appealing for witnesses and we have provided reassurance to the staff.
“This was over in a few moments. If there is anyone with any information or anyone who witnessed the incident, I urge them to contact Carlisle CID on 101.”
Twelve officers searched surrounding streets in the minutes after the robbery.
“It’s a robbery so it’s a serious crime,” added Sgt Beattie. "We acted quickly which resulted in the arrest of a male.”
First published at 08:58, Saturday, 21 January 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (30 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (3 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (1 comment)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (8 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (38 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (30 comments)
- Carlisle's Civic Centre to stop taking cash payments (14 comments)
- Staff moved so Cumbrian council can rent out office (5 comments)
- Premier Inn gets go-ahead for town centre hotel (13 comments)
- Carlisle Cathedral revamp plans slammed (39 comments)
- Why is Cumbrian coastguard HQ being moved inland? (21 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Hunt for Nigel Farage Barrow gnome villain
- BIG DEBATE: Is parking outside schools in Barrow and Furness a big problem? (3 comments)
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (3 comments)
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)