Cars wrecked in west Cumbria arson attack
Last updated at 11:57, Tuesday, 15 October 2013
Three cars and part of a house were damaged in an early morning arson attack.
A Ford Mondeo, a Fiat Multipla and a Seat Arosa were all seriously damaged in the incident at Shore Road, Salterbeck, Workington, at 4.15am yesterday.
The cars had been parked on the street and the driveway between two houses, say police.
Part of one of the properties was also damaged.
Detective Chief Inspector Mike Brown, who is leading the investigation, said: “This incident could have had tragic consequences.
"The families were in bed and asleep at the time the cars were set alight and it is only as a result of the fires being discovered that no one was harmed.
“This has been a frightening experience for all those involved and we are supporting the victims. Our priority is to find out who put these people’s lives in serious danger."
He appealed for anyone in the Shore Road/Salterbeck area between 3am and 4.30am to come forward.
"Anyone who was travelling to work, going home, taxi drivers who may have been in the area, we appeal to them to cast their minds back and see if they remember seeing anything suspicious," he said.
Anyone who can help the investigation should call police on 101.
Tuesday, 12pm: A man, aged 45, from Workington, has been arrested in connection with the incident.
First published at 12:53, Monday, 14 October 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)