Carlisle X Factor star's Twitter shock
Last updated at 12:32, Tuesday, 02 September 2014
Carlisle singer Mikey Bromley has revealed how his band saw their Twitter followers rocket after wowing judges on The X Factor.
The 19-year-old, one of four-piece Only The Young, said 10,000 people started following them after their audition on Sunday night.
Mikey and his band-mates are on a high after their performance was aired to millions on the ITV show on Saturday night.
He told the News & Star: “It’s pretty mad. We’ve had loads of comments – everything has been really positive. As soon as the audition was aired, Twitter just took off.
“It was nice to watch and hear it all back. Cheryl said I seemed nervous, and I was. I was so nervous! You just really want everything to go well.
“I was watching This Morning afterwards and Rylan mentioned us. That was cool.”
Only The Young sailed into the next round with a unanimous “yes” vote after their version of Elton John’s Something About the Way You Look Tonight impressed the new X Factor panel – Simon Cowell, Cheryl Fernandez-Versini, Mel B and Louis Walsh.
Cheryl described the group as “refreshing” while Mel B said they were “really talented”. Even hard-to-impress Cowell was clearly taken aback, turning to the rest of the judges after they’d left and admitting “they’re great”.
The next step is to conquer live auditions, which have already been filmed, but Mikey is remaining about tight-lipped about what’s in store.
He teased: “I’d just say keep your eyes peeled for us on the show in the coming weeks. It’s a good one!
“We’ve been through all kinds of emotions – excitement, nerves, everything, but I’ve loved every minute.”
Mikey’s newfound fame follows the success of fellow city singer Matthew Pagan, 21, whose opera boyband Collabro were crowned winners of Britain’s Got Talent. And it turns out the pair – both former students of Carlisle’s StagedRight theatre school – are good friends.
“I was round at his the other day,” said Mikey, of Morton.
“We were even in a band together at one point! It’s just great to think my mate is doing so well and now we’re getting all this exposure on X Factor. He told me to get ready for it. It’s so much fun.”
First published at 11:46, Tuesday, 02 September 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (22 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (45 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (40 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (139 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- The country cures
- Swims aid new pool finances
- Son jailed for attack
- Car boot sale
- Band plays it again
- Shoe shop shortlisted
- BAE Systems ships at centre of dispute set to leave Barrow docks after years in limbo
- Santa makes light work of switch-on celebration
- Updated: Barrow drink-drive suspect bailed after crash between two cars and a cyclist on A590
- Barrow AFC announce 2015-16 season-ticket prices (3 comments)
- Drink blamed
- Cumbria brewery closed by rat infestation
- Massive cost of dealing with stray dogs in Cumbria revealed (3 comments)
- Barrow to hold its first Gay Pride night (43 comments)
- NEW WHEELY BIN SCHEME AIMS TO REDUCE WASTE
- Furness Academy: Group presents its findings after investigating attitudes to Barrow
- Owners vow to rebuild after alleged drink driver smashes into Barrow chippy (13 comments)
- FOOD REVIEW: La’l Churrasco, Ulverston (2 comments)
- Barrow man denies drug charges
- Barrow Raiders floodlight work nears completion