Carlisle woman who attacked disabled boyfriend spared jail
Last updated at 11:29, Wednesday, 22 February 2012
A Carlisle woman who attacked her disabled boyfriend has been spared jail.
Lana McVay, 26, of Ennerdale Avenue in Botcherby, appeared before the city magistrates’ court yesterday.
She pleaded guilty to a charge of assault by beating.
Prosecutor Adrienne Harris told the court that Jason Row, 36, had suffered numerous strokes and needed a mobility scooter when outdoors.
McVay had been living with Mr Row at his home at Consett in County Durham when the violence erupted on December 14.
The couple were waiting for a pizza when McVay, who had drunk two litres of cider, began taunting him about the death of his wife.
Then she turned physically aggressive.
Mrs Harris said: “She ran at him punching him in the mouth then kicked him in the face.
“The defendant knew he couldn’t move quickly and was not able to stop her.”
After a scuffle, Mr Row managed to pin McVay to the floor and call for help. He had blood streaming from his nose and was crying when police arrived.
During police interview McVay admitted she knew cider made her ‘mad’ and that Mr Row had tried to stop her from drinking it.
Defence solicitor Lauren Heesly asked the magistrates to follow the probation report recommendation and impose a community punishment order.
McVay was sentenced to a 12-month supervision order, which will involve an alcohol treatment programme. She was then ordered to pay £85 costs and £150 compensation to Mr Row.
Mr Row was also granted a restraining order.
First published at 10:30, Wednesday, 22 February 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)