Carlisle woman told doctor she'd jump off bridge
Last updated at 09:23, Saturday, 09 August 2014
A woman has been given an extended jail sentence after telling her doctor she was going to jump off a bridge – and then phoning up to threaten him after he contacted police.
Deborah Isabel Dixon, 36, of Bower Street, off Newtown Road, Carlisle, told her GP she was going to take her own life on July 8 this year.
He feared for her safety and rang 999. Police officers then went to her city home and found her safe and well. Within half an hour of them leaving she phoned the practice and told reception staff she was to “come down to the surgery and make him regret it”.
Again she said she was going to find the nearest bridge and jump off it. Staff contacted police again and they paid her a second visit. Again they found Dixon safe and well.
She was charged with sending a false message by public communication to cause annoyance, inconvenience or anxiety. Appearing at North Cumbria Magistrates’ Court by video link she pleaded guilty to the offence. District judge Gerald Chalk heard she was already serving a nine-month jail sentence for witness intimidation.
He heard that Dixon suffered from long-standing depression and was told she has since realised that the doctor was acting for her own welfare.
She was sentenced to a further 28 days in prison.
First published at 09:20, Saturday, 09 August 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (44 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (40 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (139 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years