Carlisle woman stands by partner who viciously attacked her
Last updated at 09:15, Saturday, 03 March 2012
A man walked free from Carlisle Crown Court yesterday to start a new life with the woman he has twice subjected to vicious beatings.
Stewart Story, 26, arrived at court hand-in-hand with Chantelle Cannon, who just two months ago he punched, kicked and stamped on in a drunken rage.
The court heard Ms Cannon, who has been in a relationship with him for about two years, had forgiven him and wanted to settle down with him again.
Story, who a few years ago was cautioned for headbutting one girlfriend and spraying CS gas into the face of another, had pleaded guilty.
Yesterday he was given a 12-month prison sentence, suspended for two years, and ordered to do 150 hours unpaid community work. He was also ordered to attend training programmes designed to confront domestic violence and abuse of alcohol.
Prosecutor Linda Vance told the court that Story, of Buchanan Road, Upperby, Carlisle, had carried out two attacks on Ms Cannon.
In the first he punched her in the face, on New Year’s Eve.
And in the second, a fortnight later, with his two children sleeping upstairs, he punched her as she sat on the sofa.
He then kicked her, punched her again and stamped on her face, Ms Vance said.
Ms Cannon later described him as being “completely out of control.” She told police: “I felt every punch. He wasn’t holding back.”
First published at 09:05, Saturday, 03 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (40 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (3 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (30 comments)
- Carlisle's Civic Centre to stop taking cash payments (14 comments)
- Staff moved so Cumbrian council can rent out office (5 comments)
- Premier Inn gets go-ahead for town centre hotel (14 comments)
- Carlisle Cathedral revamp plans slammed (39 comments)
- Why is Cumbrian coastguard HQ being moved inland? (21 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|