Carlisle woman's Facebook ban after web threats to pair
Last updated at 13:17, Saturday, 19 January 2013
A woman has been banned from using Facebook after going on the social networking website to threaten two people who had got her arrested the night before.
Joanne Maxwell, 23, had been involved in an incident with another woman in Carlisle on the evening of October 28.
She was arrested on suspicion of assault.
And after being released on bail next day posted two messages on Facebook insulting her alleged victim and her partner.
The city’s crown court heard that on the afternoon after the alleged assault the partner complained to the police about the messages that Maxwell had posted on Facebook.
After her arrest, the court heard, Maxwell told the police she didn’t care what effect the messages had on those they had been posted against.
Maxwell, of Botcherby Avenue, Carlisle, pleaded guilty to using Facebook to send information which she knew to be false for the purpose of causing distress or anxiety.
She also admitted breaching the terms of a suspended prison sentence imposed in August 2011 after she broke the nose and eye-socket of a woman outside the Outrageous bar.
Mitigating, defence barrister Keith Thomas said that in recent months probation officers responsible for her rehabilitation after that incident had been impressed by the way she had “turned the corner”.
“She has done all that they could expect of her,” he said.
Maxwell, who is unemployed but has been helping out on a relative’s farm, was put under a 7pm to 7am curfew to keep her indoors at home every night for the next six weeks, put under the supervision of probation officers for six months and made to pay £280 in costs.
The judge also took the unusual step of imposing an order which bans her from using Facebook for three months.
First published at 11:14, Saturday, 19 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)