Carlisle Utd ace becomes dad two days before Wembley final
Last updated at 10:46, Saturday, 02 April 2011
Carlisle United defender Peter Murphy is hoping for double success this weekend after he became a dad two days before Wembley kick-off.
Murphy’s partner Lisa Armstrong, who runs Armstrongs the Barbers in Brampton, gave birth to a baby boy yesterday morning.
Irish-born Peter, who has played in more than 400 games for the Cumbrians, did not travel with the Blues on the team coach to Reading yesterday and will instead catch up with them today.
Peter, 30, said: “It's obviously wonderful for us, and I'm happy to say that both Lisa and the baby are doing fine.
“We wanted to talk to our family and friends first and then we will talk to everyone else about what fantastic news it is for both of us.”
Andy Hall, media officer for Carlisle United, said: “This is fantastic news, and we would like to pass on our congratulations to the proud parents from everyone at the club.”
Thousands of fans are making the long journey south to see the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy final game against Brentford.
The Blues are hoping to win and bring the trophy home to Cumbria after losing to Southampton in last year’s final.
Blue flags and banners will be flying as fans pack Wembley Stadium tomorrow afternoon for the game (1.30pm kick-off).
The game, for people not able to travel to London, can also be viewed in pubs in Carlisle including The Beehive on Warwick Road, the Hourglass at Stanwix, as well as Brunton Park’s bar.
First published at 08:59, Saturday, 02 April 2011
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)