Carlisle Utd ace becomes dad two days before Wembley final
Last updated at 10:46, Saturday, 02 April 2011
Carlisle United defender Peter Murphy is hoping for double success this weekend after he became a dad two days before Wembley kick-off.
Murphy’s partner Lisa Armstrong, who runs Armstrongs the Barbers in Brampton, gave birth to a baby boy yesterday morning.
Irish-born Peter, who has played in more than 400 games for the Cumbrians, did not travel with the Blues on the team coach to Reading yesterday and will instead catch up with them today.
Peter, 30, said: “It's obviously wonderful for us, and I'm happy to say that both Lisa and the baby are doing fine.
“We wanted to talk to our family and friends first and then we will talk to everyone else about what fantastic news it is for both of us.”
Andy Hall, media officer for Carlisle United, said: “This is fantastic news, and we would like to pass on our congratulations to the proud parents from everyone at the club.”
Thousands of fans are making the long journey south to see the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy final game against Brentford.
The Blues are hoping to win and bring the trophy home to Cumbria after losing to Southampton in last year’s final.
Blue flags and banners will be flying as fans pack Wembley Stadium tomorrow afternoon for the game (1.30pm kick-off).
The game, for people not able to travel to London, can also be viewed in pubs in Carlisle including The Beehive on Warwick Road, the Hourglass at Stanwix, as well as Brunton Park’s bar.
First published at 08:59, Saturday, 02 April 2011
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)