Carlisle thug who bit off part of man's thumb avoids longer jail term
Last updated at 10:01, Friday, 07 February 2014
A thug who bit off part of a man’s thumb has avoided a tougher jail term after judges dismissed a bid to increase his four-year sentence.
Robert Smith bit into Aaron Sewell’s left thumb, which detached near the tip, but the digit was saved at hospital.
Smith, 28, who has an appalling criminal record, was jailed for four years at Carlisle Crown Court in December after he admitted causing grievous bodily harm with intent.
Lawyers acting on behalf of the Solicitor General, Oliver Heald QC, tried to convince judges at London’s Criminal Appeal Court that the term handed to Smith, of Garden Street, off London Road, Carlisle, was “unduly lenient”.
But the court refused to interfere with the sentence, saying the crown court judge’s approach could not be faulted.
The court heard Mr Sewell went to the aid of a friend who alleged Smith had attacked him on June 8 last year.
As Mr Sewell approached his friend, Smith came out of a nearby house and swore at him, asking him what he was “going to do”.
He then punched Mr Sewell before charging at him “with bared teeth” and grabbing him in a “bear-like” grip.
Smith tried to bite Mr Sewell’s face and head before sinking his teeth into his victim’s left thumb.
Lady Justice Rafferty said the sentence was not “unduly lenient” and was within the sentencing guidelines.
First published at 09:59, Friday, 07 February 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)