Carlisle thug who bit off part of man's thumb avoids longer jail term
Last updated at 10:01, Friday, 07 February 2014
A thug who bit off part of a man’s thumb has avoided a tougher jail term after judges dismissed a bid to increase his four-year sentence.
Robert Smith bit into Aaron Sewell’s left thumb, which detached near the tip, but the digit was saved at hospital.
Smith, 28, who has an appalling criminal record, was jailed for four years at Carlisle Crown Court in December after he admitted causing grievous bodily harm with intent.
Lawyers acting on behalf of the Solicitor General, Oliver Heald QC, tried to convince judges at London’s Criminal Appeal Court that the term handed to Smith, of Garden Street, off London Road, Carlisle, was “unduly lenient”.
But the court refused to interfere with the sentence, saying the crown court judge’s approach could not be faulted.
The court heard Mr Sewell went to the aid of a friend who alleged Smith had attacked him on June 8 last year.
As Mr Sewell approached his friend, Smith came out of a nearby house and swore at him, asking him what he was “going to do”.
He then punched Mr Sewell before charging at him “with bared teeth” and grabbing him in a “bear-like” grip.
Smith tried to bite Mr Sewell’s face and head before sinking his teeth into his victim’s left thumb.
Lady Justice Rafferty said the sentence was not “unduly lenient” and was within the sentencing guidelines.
First published at 09:59, Friday, 07 February 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)