Carlisle soldier sentenced for 'disgusting' racist comment on death of Mikaeel Kular
Published at 08:17, Wednesday, 12 March 2014
A Carlisle soldier has avoided jail after he admitted posting a “disgusting” racist comment on Facebook in relation to the death of three-year-old Mikaeel Kular.
Grenadier Guardsman Warren Butler, 19, pleaded guilty to a charge of improper use of a communications network under section 127 of the Communications Act (2003).
Serena Edwards, prosecuting, told Basingstoke Magistrates’ Court that Butler, who is based at Aldershot, Hampshire, had drunk about 10 bottles of lager alone while his friends were on guard duty when he wrote the comment.
Butler was sentenced to a 16-week prison sentence suspended for 18 months and 250 hours community service.
He was also ordered to pay £85 court costs and a £80 victim surcharge and complete a 12-month supervision order which would include, diversity awareness and prejudice training as well as alcohol awareness.
Mikaeel’s body was discovered in woodland in Fife, Scotland, on January 17 the day after he was reported missing from his home in Edinburgh. His mother, Rosdeep Kular, 33, has been charged with his murder.
More in today's News & Star
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (5 comments)
- Cheapest fuel prices in Cumbria revealed (5 comments)
- Carlisle bouncers could get body-mounted cameras (10 comments)
- United Utilities outlines reasons for seven-mile Lake District fence (4 comments)
- NMP to be stripped of Sellafield contract - claims (23 comments)
- Carlisle Utd co-owner: fans threatened me with violence (11 comments)
- Tesco drops plans to build new superstore in Carlisle (37 comments)
- Crime less than fifth of all calls to Cumbria police (1 comment)
- New Ofsted report heaps more praise on Cumbrian school (13 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Fans petition Carlisle Utd owners to sell club (109 comments)
- Dog fouling crackdown gets under way in Carlisle (72 comments)
- MD Nixon: Last week was my blackest time at Carlisle Utd (45 comments)
- Labour’s all-female shortlist for Workington is boost for women - claim (42 comments)
- Grieving man’s call to ban dogs from Carlisle Cemetery (47 comments)