Carlisle soldier sentenced for 'disgusting' racist comment on death of Mikaeel Kular
Published at 08:17, Wednesday, 12 March 2014
A Carlisle soldier has avoided jail after he admitted posting a “disgusting” racist comment on Facebook in relation to the death of three-year-old Mikaeel Kular.
Grenadier Guardsman Warren Butler, 19, pleaded guilty to a charge of improper use of a communications network under section 127 of the Communications Act (2003).
Serena Edwards, prosecuting, told Basingstoke Magistrates’ Court that Butler, who is based at Aldershot, Hampshire, had drunk about 10 bottles of lager alone while his friends were on guard duty when he wrote the comment.
Butler was sentenced to a 16-week prison sentence suspended for 18 months and 250 hours community service.
He was also ordered to pay £85 court costs and a £80 victim surcharge and complete a 12-month supervision order which would include, diversity awareness and prejudice training as well as alcohol awareness.
Mikaeel’s body was discovered in woodland in Fife, Scotland, on January 17 the day after he was reported missing from his home in Edinburgh. His mother, Rosdeep Kular, 33, has been charged with his murder.
More in today's News & Star
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)