Carlisle soldier sentenced for 'disgusting' racist comment on death of Mikaeel Kular
Published at 08:17, Wednesday, 12 March 2014
A Carlisle soldier has avoided jail after he admitted posting a “disgusting” racist comment on Facebook in relation to the death of three-year-old Mikaeel Kular.
Grenadier Guardsman Warren Butler, 19, pleaded guilty to a charge of improper use of a communications network under section 127 of the Communications Act (2003).
Serena Edwards, prosecuting, told Basingstoke Magistrates’ Court that Butler, who is based at Aldershot, Hampshire, had drunk about 10 bottles of lager alone while his friends were on guard duty when he wrote the comment.
Butler was sentenced to a 16-week prison sentence suspended for 18 months and 250 hours community service.
He was also ordered to pay £85 court costs and a £80 victim surcharge and complete a 12-month supervision order which would include, diversity awareness and prejudice training as well as alcohol awareness.
Mikaeel’s body was discovered in woodland in Fife, Scotland, on January 17 the day after he was reported missing from his home in Edinburgh. His mother, Rosdeep Kular, 33, has been charged with his murder.
More in today's News & Star
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Widow's anguish as thieves target Pc Bill Barker's grave (5 comments)
- Farmfoods given consent for supermarket at Carlisle's Shaddongate (25 comments)
- West House loses cafe contract at hospital (17 comments)
- Council hands out £3,000 in parking fines in one street in four months (39 comments)
- Carlisle residents too scared to walk down road without footpath (20 comments)
- Cumbria Pride crisis as Carlisle LGBT centre to close (53 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (33 comments)
- Call for action after crash at accident 'blackspot' near Carlisle (29 comments)
Court & crime
- Teenage motorist caught in Carlisle nearly three times drink-drive limit
- Carlisle driver so drunk he didn’t recall getting into car
- Carlisle man's £279 bill after damaging £29 pillow in police cell
- Carlisle arsonist told to expect jail for endangering her parents lives
- Party man left fighting for life after being stabbed in stomach
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Chef who hanged himself faced trial for four child sex charges
- Late show fells Millom
- Dalton zoo boss brings seasonal cheer with free admission
- BOMB TEAM CALLED TO SEASCALE BEACH
- Names found for the classmates of 1952
- Holker rock Blackpool
- Dowdales school
- Dalton zoo gets go-ahead to change entrance at its new car park (17 comments)
- Help your pet to enjoy summer
- Fire boss grilled over future of Dalton fire station