Carlisle soldier’s Facebook comment shame
Last updated at 11:05, Sunday, 16 February 2014
A teenager who posted an offensive comment on Facebook in relation to the death of three-year-old Mikaeel Kular in Scotland is a serving soldier.
Warren Butler, 19, of Ferguson Road, Longsowerby, Carlisle, is based in barracks in the south of the country.
Butler is awaiting sentence after admitting improper use of a communications network.
Mikaeel was found dead in Fife on January 18 after he was reported missing days earlier.
His mother, Rosdeep Kular, 33, has been charged with murder.
The Army declined to comment in detail about the case ahead of a sentence being imposed.
A spokesman said: “All those who are found to fall short of the Army’s high standards or who are found to have committed an offence under the Armed Forces Act are dealt with administratively – up to and including discharge – or through the discipline process, as appropriate.”
Butler pleaded guilty during a hearing at Aldershot Magistrates’ Court following an investigation by Hampshire Police.
The hearing was adjourned until Tuesday, March 11 for sentencing at Basingstoke Magistrates’ Court.
Butler was released on conditional bail.
First published at 11:04, Sunday, 16 February 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)