Carlisle shoplifter back in court for the 93rd time
Published at 11:29, Monday, 24 December 2012
A MAN with 92 previous convictions for theft has appeared back in court for shoplifting.
John Rogers, 36, of Durranhill Road, Carlisle, admitted two thefts.
Diane Jackson, prosecuting, told Carlisle magistrates how a security officer working in the TK Maxx shop on Scotch Street in Carlisle became suspicious of Rogers on November 15.
The guard watched as Rogers took the security tag off a pair of ladies boots and took some nail polish, hiding them under his jacket before walking out of the store. The items were worth £53.98. He was stopped outside and arrested.
On December 15 he stole perfume worth £70 from the Boots store on English Street.
Lauren Heesley, defending, told the court that Rogers was a prolific offender who was between a “rock and a hard place”.
He was on probation supervision and was doing well until it ended a few weeks ago. Since then things had deteriorated again.
The court was told that a friend had asked him to steal from the Boots store and would give him some money.
He had issues with drug and alcohol abuse but was now seeking help.
When last in court for a similar shop theft he was given a conditional order of discharge, so is in breach of this order.
Magistrates told Rogers that for the two recent shop thefts and the breach of the conditional discharge he would be given a one-year community order.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Italian chain planning Carlisle city centre restaurant (7 comments)
- West Cumbrian police station will not be casualty of cuts, MP told (3 comments)
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- Primark to open store in Carlisle (111 comments)
- Fire stations and care homes at risk in Cumbria council cuts (47 comments)
- Cumbria police may be reduced to 'blue light' service if funding cuts go-ahead (63 comments)
- Lawyers told to find way out of Carlisle hospital's 'crippling' PFI contract (50 comments)
Court & crime
- No room for hate in a broken heart
- We shouldn’t lose sight of the kindness and compassion (8 comments)
- Primed not to care (2 comments)
- Not just cutout cops who face the chop (5 comments)
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|