Carlisle shoplifter back in court for the 93rd time
Published at 11:29, Monday, 24 December 2012
A MAN with 92 previous convictions for theft has appeared back in court for shoplifting.
John Rogers, 36, of Durranhill Road, Carlisle, admitted two thefts.
Diane Jackson, prosecuting, told Carlisle magistrates how a security officer working in the TK Maxx shop on Scotch Street in Carlisle became suspicious of Rogers on November 15.
The guard watched as Rogers took the security tag off a pair of ladies boots and took some nail polish, hiding them under his jacket before walking out of the store. The items were worth £53.98. He was stopped outside and arrested.
On December 15 he stole perfume worth £70 from the Boots store on English Street.
Lauren Heesley, defending, told the court that Rogers was a prolific offender who was between a “rock and a hard place”.
He was on probation supervision and was doing well until it ended a few weeks ago. Since then things had deteriorated again.
The court was told that a friend had asked him to steal from the Boots store and would give him some money.
He had issues with drug and alcohol abuse but was now seeking help.
When last in court for a similar shop theft he was given a conditional order of discharge, so is in breach of this order.
Magistrates told Rogers that for the two recent shop thefts and the breach of the conditional discharge he would be given a one-year community order.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (40 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (3 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (30 comments)
- Carlisle's Civic Centre to stop taking cash payments (14 comments)
- Staff moved so Cumbrian council can rent out office (5 comments)
- Premier Inn gets go-ahead for town centre hotel (14 comments)
- Carlisle Cathedral revamp plans slammed (39 comments)
- Why is Cumbrian coastguard HQ being moved inland? (21 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|