Carlisle shop owner prosecuted for 'feeding birds'
Last updated at 14:42, Thursday, 13 February 2014
A shop owner has been prosecuted for littering after he claimed to be feeding birds.
David Michael McGovern, who runs Strawberry Fields secondhand shop in The Citadel Row in Carlisle, appeared before city magistrates yesterday accused of two offences of ‘throwing down or depositing litter’ in a city council prosecution.
McGovern, who pleaded not guilty to both offences, which are alleged to have occurred on November 12 and July 10 last year, told District Judge Gerald Chalk that his defence would be that he was ‘feeding the birds on my doorstep’.
He said he intended to call county council leader Stewart Young as one of his witnesses.
The charges state that he “dropped or otherwise deposited litter, namely slices of white bread and left it on the pavement and left”.
He lives above the shop and has done for at least 19 years, the court heard.
Other witnesses expected to be called at his trial in April are environmental health officers and an RSPB official.
McGovern was told he had 28 days to get a list of everyone he intends to call as a witness to the court.
The trial is expected to last all day.
First published at 14:41, Thursday, 13 February 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)