Carlisle shop owner prosecuted for 'feeding birds'
Last updated at 14:42, Thursday, 13 February 2014
A shop owner has been prosecuted for littering after he claimed to be feeding birds.
David Michael McGovern, who runs Strawberry Fields secondhand shop in The Citadel Row in Carlisle, appeared before city magistrates yesterday accused of two offences of ‘throwing down or depositing litter’ in a city council prosecution.
McGovern, who pleaded not guilty to both offences, which are alleged to have occurred on November 12 and July 10 last year, told District Judge Gerald Chalk that his defence would be that he was ‘feeding the birds on my doorstep’.
He said he intended to call county council leader Stewart Young as one of his witnesses.
The charges state that he “dropped or otherwise deposited litter, namely slices of white bread and left it on the pavement and left”.
He lives above the shop and has done for at least 19 years, the court heard.
Other witnesses expected to be called at his trial in April are environmental health officers and an RSPB official.
McGovern was told he had 28 days to get a list of everyone he intends to call as a witness to the court.
The trial is expected to last all day.
First published at 14:41, Thursday, 13 February 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Italian chain planning Carlisle city centre restaurant (7 comments)
- West Cumbrian police station will not be casualty of cuts, MP told (3 comments)
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- Primark to open store in Carlisle (111 comments)
- Fire stations and care homes at risk in Cumbria council cuts (47 comments)
- Cumbria police may be reduced to 'blue light' service if funding cuts go-ahead (63 comments)
- Lawyers told to find way out of Carlisle hospital's 'crippling' PFI contract (50 comments)
Court & crime
- No room for hate in a broken heart
- We shouldn’t lose sight of the kindness and compassion (8 comments)
- Primed not to care (2 comments)
- Not just cutout cops who face the chop (5 comments)
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|