Carlisle Scouts get behind blood donor campaign
Last updated at 12:24, Thursday, 20 December 2012
Members of a Carlisle Scouts group have joined a campaign to recruit 100,000 new blood donors in 100 days.
The Reivers District Scouts got behind the drive and went to a special donation session at Harraby Community Centre.
Five of them gave blood for the first time and another three donated at existing donors to continue their contributions.
Ayers Explorer Scout leader and regular donor, Eddie Ward, came up with the idea when he read about the appeal.
“Our members are used to helping others, be it at events or raising money for charity,” he said. “Helping to save lives is surely the best anyone can do.”
Among the first-time donors was Explorer Scout, Peter Lumsden, 17, from Calthwaite.
He said: “I hadn’t realised that you could start giving blood at 17 and I was really pleased to find out that it didn’t hurt at all.”
Cumbrian Scout Network member Mike Jamieson, 21, from Carlisle, was also donating for the first time.
He said: “Only four per cent of people who can give blood actually do. I’d really encourage everyone who can to have a go.”
The NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT) is encouraging young people to become blood donors, after a dramatic decline in the number of 17-24 year-olds signing up.
Barbara Blanche, NHSBT’s lead donor relations manager for the area, said they were very grateful to the Scouts.
“We’d like more people in Cumbria to be inspired to give blood and save lives,” she said.
“We would especially welcome young people as there has been a sharp decline in this age range.”
For more information see www.blood.co.uk or call 0300 123 23 23.
First published at 12:20, Thursday, 20 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)