Carlisle school goes back to 1950s to celebrate 60th birthday
Published at 11:43, Thursday, 10 April 2014
Classrooms were full of curlers, caps and chalkboards for children at one primary school celebrating its 60th anniversary.
All 339 pupils at Inglewood Community Nursery and Infant School were invited to don 1950s style outfits to mark the six decades since a primary school was officially opened on the School Road site in Harraby, Carlisle.
Spam and jam roly poly were also served in the dining hall, with kitchen staff having to prepare at least 60 more hot lunches than they would usually make on a normal day.
Each class also experienced what life was like in a strict 1950s classroom. Part of the hall was kitted out with PE benches, a donated black board and lectern, chalk and blackboards for pupils and wooden desks with inkwells – one of which had been picked up on an internet auction site.
Headteacher Amanda Evans said: “Everybody has pulled together to make this a very special occasion.
“My father Malcolm Stewart has been in this week as part of the celebrations. He was a teacher when the school opened so he’s been back to tell pupils about how things have changed. He told them the fabric and structure of the building hasn’t changed very much but really the key difference is the technology.”
Warren Graham, aged six, and his friends in year one enjoyed playing games such as jacks and tiddlywinks.
Classmate Josh Taylor said: “I have chalk at my nana’s house but we’ve had to do our ABCs and times tables here on the boards.”
Every pupil was presented with a commemorative bear, donated by the school and its parent, teacher and friends association. Children also had black and white photographs taken.
The 1950s day was also enjoyed by visitors, including past pupils and teachers, who were invited on Tuesday – the anniversary of the official opening in 1954.
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)