Carlisle restaurant named best in north west for seventh year running
Last updated at 16:43, Thursday, 06 December 2012
Carlisle is still home to the best curry house in the north west after The Viceroy picked up yet another award this week.
It has been named ‘Best Restaurant in the North West’ for the seventh year running in the annual Spice Times magazine awards.
The award process is thorough and requires hundreds of testimonials to be sent in from happy customers.
It also involves collecting pictures, sending menus, reviews, press cuttings, to a judging panel of some of the most prestigious food critics in the country.
Mystery diners are even sent in to the shortlisted restaurants and videos of select dishes being cooked are taken and shown to the judging panel.
As well as this, The Viceroy is competing in a very strong north west region with Manchester, Liverpool and Bolton all renowned centres for spicy cuisine.
The award is testament to Sukur Ali and his son Alamgir, who run the restaurant in Shaddongate.
Mr Ali said: “Our secret is hard work. That’s what we do. We have a very good chef and staff and we work so hard together.
“Our customers say the food and service is the best in Carlisle. Also our car park is especially handy with all of the rain we get here!
“We make everything fresh, and this makes a very big difference.”
All of Mr Ali’s four sons are involved in running The Viceroy, which has built a loyal following since it was opened in 1991.
The Spice Times awards are well respected in the world of Asian cuisine, gaining stock every year thanks to endorsements from the Queen and the Prime Minister among others.
Last year, over 42,000 restaurants entered the awards and that number was exceeded by this year’s competition.
The Viceroy will be celebrating its 21st anniversary and awards success with loyal customers this Sunday at a celebratory lunch.
First published at 16:42, Thursday, 06 December 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)