Carlisle police launch inquiry after man claims he was stabbed
Last updated at 09:22, Tuesday, 22 May 2012
Police launched a large-scale investigation after a man with knife wounds claimed he had been attacked by a gang – but inquiries found he had injured himself.
Officers sealed off the Castle Way underpass in Carlisle after the 29-year-old went into the nearby Tullie House Museum with what appeared to be stab injuries yesterday (Monday).
Police were called by staff at the museum at about 12.35pm. A force spokeswoman said the man claimed he had been attacked by a gang in the underpass.
“A large police operation was immediately launched to try and track down the offenders and identify a crime scene,” she added.
Paramedics were quickly at the scene and the man was treated for his injuries before being taken to the city’s Cumberland Infirmary.
Police officers and community support officers stood guard at either side of the underpass, which was taped off.
At one stage other officers appeared to carry out a search, including examinations of a bin beside the underpass entrance near to Carlisle Castle.
The spokeswoman added: “Inquiries and CCTV footage quickly confirmed that the man had inflicted the injury on himself before disposing of a knife which officers recovered nearby.”
He remains in a stable condition in hospital today.
First published at 13:47, Monday, 21 May 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Italian chain planning Carlisle city centre restaurant (7 comments)
- West Cumbrian police station will not be casualty of cuts, MP told (3 comments)
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- Primark to open store in Carlisle (111 comments)
- Fire stations and care homes at risk in Cumbria council cuts (47 comments)
- Cumbria police may be reduced to 'blue light' service if funding cuts go-ahead (63 comments)
- Lawyers told to find way out of Carlisle hospital's 'crippling' PFI contract (50 comments)
Court & crime
- No room for hate in a broken heart
- We shouldn’t lose sight of the kindness and compassion (8 comments)
- Primed not to care (2 comments)
- Not just cutout cops who face the chop (5 comments)
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|