Friday, 27 November 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Carlisle murder trial hears 999 plea for help

Jurors today listened to the distraught 999 call of the girlfriend of a man whose death is at the centre of a murder trial.

Luke Hollingsworth photo
Luke Hollingsworth

Related: Carlisle murder accused tells of raiders

The woman called for an ambulance after she discovered the aftermath of the fatal attack, saying she found Luke Hollingsworth stabbed.

The phone call was played on day five of a murder trial held at Carlisle Crown Court.

In a clearly distressed state, the woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, states: “I need an ambulance.

“I walked in. My boyfriend has been stabbed.”

Earlier the jury were shown images of Mr Hollingsworth in places including Botchergate in Carlisle and the Woodrow Wilson pub where he worked.

It came as prosecutors revealed evidence of a string of phone calls and texts in the lead up to Mr Hollingsworth’s death, including those between the phones of him and the man accused of killing him.

Jamie Armstrong, 21, is standing trial accused of murdering 23-year-old Mr Hollingsworth – a charge he denies.

Armstrong told police he and his alleged victim were confronted by house intruders demanding: “Where’s the drugs and where’s the money?”

The accused’s interview by police in the wake of Mr Hollingsworth’s fatal stabbing was relayed to the jury at his murder trial yesterday.

Armstrong was shown with his hands bandaged on video footage taken as he was quizzed by detectives investigating the death.

In the interviews he told police that the pair were confronted by men – one in a balaclava, one wearing a hoodie – who entered Mr Hollingsworth’s home in Etterby Lea Road in Stanwix, Carlisle.

He said Mr Hollingsworth – discovered dead in his home on July 10 last year after suffering multiple stab wounds – was stabbed and he was slashed.

Armstrong, of Warwick Road in the city, claims the pair came under attack by the men.

The jury were read transcripts of the interviews as well as watching clips.

The first interview was held nine days after the stabbing, with officers unable to interview Armstrong before because he had been found injured at the scene.

He said he had gone to Mr Hollingsworth’s house on the day he died “for a smoke”.

The two were in the house, he said, when “them lads came”.

He told detectives they came “through the back”.

“The door wasn’t locked,” said Armstrong. “It wasn’t even shut.

“They were both right next to us. By the time we looked up they were both there.”

Armstrong was asked what the first thing was they said.

“Where’s the drugs and where’s the money?” he replied.

When asked what he did upon seeing them, Armstrong said: “I didn’t move at all. I didn’t know what to do.”

The men, he said, started a search. “They were like: ‘Where is it? Where is it?’” he said.

Armstrong said he was slashed on his hands with a knife by one of the men.

He told police the men started searching the kitchen after a search had been carried out upstairs.

Mr Hollingsworth, he said, was stabbed in the head and the back.

He told police: “One of them stabbed Luke once and then once in the back.”

Armstrong added: “He went down. I remember him falling down.”

Armstrong said the last thing he remembered was being in the bathroom with Luke.

“I had my hands on his face, he had hands on me, saying: ‘It’s going to be alright’.”

The court was told earlier that Mr Hollingsworth and Armstrong were involved in dealing cannabis.

The trial continues. It is expected to last four weeks.


News & Star What's On search


Is The Autumn Statement good news for Cumbria?

Yes - the enterprise zone jobs and airport flights are a fantastic boost

It's more positive than expected but could have been better

I agree with Jamie Reed, it is all smoke and mirrors

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: