Carlisle mum admits child neglect
Last updated at 20:37, Friday, 06 June 2014
A mother has pleaded guilty before a judge at Carlisle Crown Court to neglecting her child and causing unnecessary suffering.
Deborah Ellen Whelpdale, 30, who lives near Carlisle city centre, admitted the single offence, which she committed on March 1 this year when the youngster was found in flat that was being used by drug users.
At an earlier hearing, the court was told that the flat involved was devoid of food and littered with drugs paraphernalia, including needles and empty drug wraps.
The prosecution said that adults in the flat were taking heroin and that one of them was seen being treated by paramedics.
Prosecutor Beccy McGregor told Judge Barbara Forrester that she might need to see police video footage of the flat before sentencing Whelpdale.
The judge adjourned the case until July 31 to allow time for related legal issues to be resolved and the defendant was granted conditional bail.
The name and address of the child involved cannot be reported for legal reasons.
First published at 10:55, Friday, 06 June 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Historic Carlisle pub closing for major revamp (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new HQ: How it could look (42 comments)
- Senior Cumbrian councillor’s warning over Rotherham abuse scandal (14 comments)
- Police ask for takeaway 'bouncers' to help curb late night disorder (16 comments)
- Three Cumbrian areas named in top 10 best places to live in England (30 comments)
- Derelict former hotel in Carlisle has no owner (43 comments)
- Carlisle council gives go-ahead to city airport overhaul (124 comments)
- Lovell gets go-ahead to build 217 new homes in west Cumbria (14 comments)
- Cumbrian man tells why he has right to be forgotten on Google (16 comments)
- 64 jobs at risk as factory bosses warn of possible closure (15 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (10 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (1 comment)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|