Carlisle man with 'drink problem' attacked his ex-wife
Last updated at 11:33, Tuesday, 07 August 2012
A man with “significant alcohol problems” has admitted assaulting his former wife in her home.
Keith Green, 54, of Sheffield Street, Denton Holme, Carlisle, pleaded guilty to one count of assault by beating and another of criminal damage.
Carlisle magistrates heard that Green had been at the home of his ex-wife Andrina Green, of Semple Road, Harraby, on July 16 when an argument broke out.
She had initially been happy to let him into her home but the mood soon turned sour, the court heard.
Pam Ward, prosecuting, said: “While she was making tea he became nasty with her.
“She asked him to leave on numerous occasions.”
He refused, poured wine down the sink and swore at her, the court heard.
Ms Ward said that Green had also pushed her to the floor, struck her across the back of the head with the palm of his hand and pushed her face against the arm of a chair.
Martin McAllister, defending, said that Green accepted that he had pushed the complainant but not that he had slapped her.
Ms Ward said Green had also held her in such a way so that she was unable to move, and had also damaged the living room door by banging it open and closed.
Mr McAllister said that the attack had “sprung from nothing”.
He added that Green had been drinking at the time and was taking steps to address his alcohol problems.
Magistrates adjourned the case for reports.
Among the options which magistrates said they would look at when sentencing Green were domestic violence and alcohol intervention programmes.
Green is due back at the magistrates’ court for sentencing on August 20.
First published at 11:25, Tuesday, 07 August 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (22 comments)
- Cumbria police to use drones to help tackle crime (21 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (118 comments)
- Widow's anguish as thieves target Pc Bill Barker's grave (7 comments)
- Farmfoods given consent for supermarket at Carlisle's Shaddongate (31 comments)
- West House loses cafe contract at hospital (19 comments)
- Council hands out £3,000 in parking fines in one street in four months (44 comments)
- Cumbria Pride crisis as Carlisle LGBT centre to close (58 comments)