Carlisle man stole golf buggy, badly damaged greens and fairways
Last updated at 14:35, Friday, 18 July 2014
A man who stole a golf buggy and drove it round a golf course tearing up greens and fairways caused damage to the tune of £800.
A court heard that after previously admitting the theft and malicious damage in court, Steven Marriot, 23, failed to turn up to be sentenced.
That landed Marriot, of Morley Street, Denton Holme, Carlisle, in custody for seven weeks after being arrested on warrant, and this was taken into account when he did appear for sentence before Sheriff Mhairi McTaggart at Dumfries.
She told Marriot he hadn’t done himself any favours in not turning up initially but she took account of the period in custody as a punishment and imposed a community payback order with a condition he be under supervision for 12 months.
Marriot had admitted committing the offence at the Castle Douglas course while acting with a juvenile in July last year.
The court was told that a committee member saw Marriot and another youth standing next to a buggy. They walked off when he went over but some of the wiring on the buggy was exposed.
He returned about three hours later to check and saw Marriot driving the buggy round the course, who said when challenged: “I wish I hadn’t done it.”
Solicitor Gavin Orr said Marriot had not enjoyed his spell in custody, adding: “He was assaulted there and had boiling water poured over him. He’s not keen to go back.”
First published at 14:34, Friday, 18 July 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (103 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (34 comments)
- Have your say on how much to pay Cumbria's county councillors
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (13 comments)
- Health chiefs' secret plans to split north Cumbria's hospitals (47 comments)
- Bid to use BT phone kiosks to house defibrillators (16 comments)
- Theft-hit Carlisle church forced to close its doors (12 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (169 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (37 comments)
- We ARE talking to a billionaire say Carlisle Utd owners (31 comments)
- State-of-the-art buses in Carlisle blasted by passengers
- Vulcan bomber thrills crowds at Carlisle fly past (6 comments)
- Cumbrian couple's wedding to be one in a Minion (5 comments)