X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Tuesday, 29 July 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Carlisle man 'stable' after being stabbed

A 23-year-old man who was stabbed at a party on Carlisle’s Raffles estate is now in a stable condition in hospital.

Eight people were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder following the attack, which was one of three violent incidents which marred New Year’s celebrations.

Police confirmed on Friday seven people had been released on bail and no further action will be taken against one person.

Police were called to a house in Raffles Avenue at 4am on Wednesday when a house party erupted in violence. The victim has not been identified by police but was named locally as Joe Malloy.

He was treated at the scene for his injuries and then taken to the city’s Cumberland Infirmary where he was operated on.

Police said he was suffering from “life-threatening injuries” and was later transferred to the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle for further surgery.

A neighbour in Raffles Avenue, who had heard about the attack, said: “My son is a good friend of Joe’s. He’s a pleasant lad, always very friendly”.

He said people were shocked to hear what had happened but admitted “this area does have its moments”.

Another neighbour, a woman living nearby, described Mr Malloy as “a nice lad”.

Police are also investigating serious attacks in Whitehaven and Penrith on New Year’s Day.

In Whitehaven, in the town’s Tangier Street at around 12.30am yesterday, a man suffered serious facial injures after being assaulted.

He was treated at the town’s West Cumberland Hospital for suspected fractures, where staff described his condition as “serious but stable”.

Police say he was given first aid by the officers who quickly arrived at the scene.

A spokesman for the force said that a 28-year-old local man was arrested at the scene on suspicion of causing the man grievous bodily harm.

Officers want to hear from witnesses who can help their investigation.

The attack came during a night of New Year celebrations that saw police and ambulance crews working flat out.

In Roper Street, Penrith, a 19-year-old man was assaulted and police there are appealing for information about the suspect, a stockily-built man in his 40s wearing a brown Barbour-style jacket.

Ambulance service chiefs in the region say their control room staff were taking 999 calls from across Cumbria at a rate of one every 22 seconds.

Across the North West region as a whole, there were nearly 1,993 emergency calls between midnight on December 31 and 6am on January 1.

Of these, 503 were for serious or immediately life-threatening incidents.

Nearly half of the 999 calls – 957 – were from Cumbria and Lancashire.

Many were a result of alcohol-related illness or injury, say officials.

Shahid Ali, head of service development at North West Ambulance Service, said: “We had planned for what we always knew would be a very busy period, and we know that alcohol always plays a big part over the festive period.

“The number of emergency calls in Cumbria was similar to last year, and our staff coped really, really well.”

He said the emergencies included incidents of mass violence and a meat cleaver attack – but neither was in Cumbria.

Three ambulance crew staff were also assaulted across the region as they worked but none was seriously hurt.

Some of those who needed emergency treatment had sustained firework injuries.

Cumbrian police officers who watched over the New Year celebrations were also busy, and despite the incidents of violence, most revellers were well behaved, senior officers have said.

By 10am on January 1, 39 people had the sobering experience of seeing in New Year’s Day in one of Cumbria’s police cells – 14 in Carlisle, 14 in Workington, five in Kendal, and six in Barrow.

Between 8pm on December 31 and 10am the following day, police across the county made 60 arrests for a variety of offences – many drink related, including minor assaults, and breaches of the peace.

Between midnight and 6.15am yesterday, officers were called out to 254 incidents – about the same as last year.

Penrith-based control room Inspector Carl Patrick said: “As in previous years, we had extra officers on duty and they dealt very professionally with a high number of calls, keeping the communities of Cumbria safe. The call-outs were mostly about relatively low level antisocial behaviour.”

 

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

News & Star What's On search





Vote

Are Cumbria's parks and open spaces something to be proud of?

Yes

No

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for:
NEWS & STAR ON: