Sunday, 29 November 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Carlisle man jailed for sex attack on boy

A sex offender who stalked a boy through Carlisle city centre before assaulting him has been jailed for five years.

Darren Malcolm Goode photo
Darren Malcolm Goode

Darren Goode, who a judge said had preyed on boys for years, grabbed the 12-year-old from behind and clamped a hand over his mouth to stop him screaming.

The 43-year-old, who was living at the city’s John Street hostel in Shaddongate at the time, then made the boy promise not to tell anyone after assaulting him.

But the child ran home to tell his father and they then found Goode, who was arrested.

Police have paid tribute to the boy’s bravery in reporting the crime.

Goode pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting a child aged under 13 and breaching a sexual offences prevention order.

Judge Peter Hughes QC, at Carlisle Crown Court, said Goode posed a “significant risk to boys under 13” as he imposed the sentence, which will also include an extended licence period of six years after he is released from prison.

The court heard how the boy was making his way home from school through the city centre on November 19 last year when Goode started following him.

The child was aware he was being followed but as he passed through the grounds of Carlisle Cathedral thought Goode was no longer tracking him.

But the attacker grabbed him in a car park near West Walls.

Goode, the court heard, had only been released from his last sentence five months earlier.

He had been jailed for four years at Preston Crown Court for sexual assault. The pervert had also previously been jailed for indecent assault and had been made the subject of a sexual offences prevention order.

David Polglase, prosecuting, spoke of the impact the assault had had on the boy.

“He says that he has anxiety about people behind him,” Mr Polglase said.

“He doesn’t like going out in the dark. He’s lost confidence in meeting new people. He was scared at the time, scared and afraid afterwards,” he added.

Elizabeth Muir, mitigating, said of Goode: “He is a man who has serious issues that stem from abuse he suffered from as a child.”

Judge Hughes said that the child’s ordeal “must have been an absolutely terrifying experience for a 12-year-old boy”.

He told Goode: “He must have been fearing what you might do to him next.

“You stalked a 12-year-old boy and then pounced on him, holding him against his will.”

Speaking after sentencing, Detective Sergeant Clare McCormick, the officer who led the case against Goode, said: “I am pleased that justice has been served and Goode will be facing prison for his crimes.

“Thankfully, cases like this are extremely rare in Carlisle and the quick arrest of Goode and the sentence show that we are committed to protecting children in Cumbria.

“I would like to take this opportunity to thank the boy involved for his bravery in reporting the crime.

“I would urge any child to speak to someone they trust and report anything they think is inappropriate.

“Anyone with any concerns should call Cumbria police on 101 or the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.”


News & Star What's On search


Has the bubble burst on Black Friday?

Yes. You can get bargains every day for weeks now

No way! I bagged a load of bargains

After the manic scenes of last year it was always going to settle down

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: