Carlisle man jailed for attacking partner after night out
Last updated at 14:31, Thursday, 06 February 2014
A 26-year-old man has been jailed for attacking his partner after he flew into a rage and hurled furniture and slapped her face.
Carlisle magistrates heard how the couple, who have since split up, had a “volatile” relationship and started arguing after going to a house warming.
Prosecutor Jane Mackrill said Adam Andrew Goodman, of Lingmoor Way, Harraby, Carlisle, had been out with Laura Donaldson on January 19.
They had been in town for a house warming party then went on to a club, she said, and both were drinking “for most of the night”.
“They started arguing at around 3am in a club,” she said. “They parted an hour later and went home separately”.
When they met up at home the argument started again, she said.
“He slapped Miss Donaldson across the face,” she said. He threw a laptop at the wall – causing damage to both – and picked up her handbag and threw that, breaking her mobile phone which was inside.
“He was in a rage,” she said.
He threw a chair and started to pull drawers from the kitchen cabinets. At one point he had a kitchen knife in his hand.
Martin McAllister, defending, told district judge Gerald Chalk that the relationship was “a volatile one”.
“The relationship is now over and he is living at his grandmother’s address at the moment,” he said.
The judge described the assault as “sustained” and a breach of trust.
Goodman was sentenced to 70 days in prison for the assault, which he admitted. There was no separate penalty for the criminal damage offence, which the court heard amounted to £500.
First published at 14:30, Thursday, 06 February 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (40 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (3 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (30 comments)
- Carlisle's Civic Centre to stop taking cash payments (14 comments)
- Staff moved so Cumbrian council can rent out office (5 comments)
- Premier Inn gets go-ahead for town centre hotel (14 comments)
- Carlisle Cathedral revamp plans slammed (39 comments)
- Why is Cumbrian coastguard HQ being moved inland? (21 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|