Carlisle man groped woman after 30-pint new year binge
Last updated at 11:40, Tuesday, 01 May 2012
A man who had drunk 30 pints groped a woman when he went to wish her a Happy New Year.
Nineteen-year-old Andrew Donegan, of Botcherby Avenue in Carlisle, had denied a sex assault but was convicted following a trial at the city magistrates court.
Prosecutor Vicki Agullo told the court that the police were called to a disturbance in Botcherby Avenue shortly after midnight on December 31, 2010 when several people were seen arguing.
Donegan went up to a woman to give her a hug and wish her Happy New Year, he said, but the woman waved him away.
He was then said to have touched her chest and put his hand up her skirt.
Geoff Clapp, defending, said Donegan had been out that evening and drunk 30 pints.
He denied committing the offence and said he was staying with his mother at the time.
Donegan was picked out of an ID parade by the victim but went to live with his father in Glasgow for two years and was not traced.
District judge Gerald Chalk said the case relied on identification evidence and the victim saw him close-up in good street lighting.
The case was adjourned until May 28 for reports. Donegan was warned he could face custody.
First published at 11:25, Tuesday, 01 May 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Double blow as historic Carlisle pub and club close (5 comments)
- Cheapest fuel prices in Cumbria revealed (5 comments)
- Carlisle bouncers could get body-mounted cameras (10 comments)
- United Utilities outlines reasons for seven-mile Lake District fence (4 comments)
- NMP to be stripped of Sellafield contract - claims (23 comments)
- Carlisle Utd co-owner: fans threatened me with violence (11 comments)
- Tesco drops plans to build new superstore in Carlisle (37 comments)
- Crime less than fifth of all calls to Cumbria police (1 comment)
- New Ofsted report heaps more praise on Cumbrian school (13 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Staff devastated after fire destroys part of Cumbrian hospital (1 comment)
- Police warning of fishmonger scam
- Mercy plea from army bosses saves Carlisle soldier from prison
- Carlisle Utd on the brink of 'exciting' new investment (22 comments)
- Cumbrian woman banned from 45 shops after stealing £1 milkshake
- Fans petition Carlisle Utd owners to sell club (109 comments)
- Dog fouling crackdown gets under way in Carlisle (72 comments)
- MD Nixon: Last week was my blackest time at Carlisle Utd (45 comments)
- Labour’s all-female shortlist for Workington is boost for women - claim (42 comments)
- Grieving man’s call to ban dogs from Carlisle Cemetery (47 comments)