Carlisle man groped woman after 30-pint new year binge
Last updated at 11:40, Tuesday, 01 May 2012
A man who had drunk 30 pints groped a woman when he went to wish her a Happy New Year.
Nineteen-year-old Andrew Donegan, of Botcherby Avenue in Carlisle, had denied a sex assault but was convicted following a trial at the city magistrates court.
Prosecutor Vicki Agullo told the court that the police were called to a disturbance in Botcherby Avenue shortly after midnight on December 31, 2010 when several people were seen arguing.
Donegan went up to a woman to give her a hug and wish her Happy New Year, he said, but the woman waved him away.
He was then said to have touched her chest and put his hand up her skirt.
Geoff Clapp, defending, said Donegan had been out that evening and drunk 30 pints.
He denied committing the offence and said he was staying with his mother at the time.
Donegan was picked out of an ID parade by the victim but went to live with his father in Glasgow for two years and was not traced.
District judge Gerald Chalk said the case relied on identification evidence and the victim saw him close-up in good street lighting.
The case was adjourned until May 28 for reports. Donegan was warned he could face custody.
First published at 11:25, Tuesday, 01 May 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)