Carlisle man found slumped at wheel after row with girlfriend
Last updated at 11:28, Monday, 05 March 2012
An alcoholic was found slumped over the wheel of his parked car in Carlisle after downing vodka following a row with his girlfriend.
Fifty-nine-year-old Frank Jandera was discovered by police in his Ford Fiesta on February 16 outside the Royal Scot pub on Langrigg Road, Morton Park, Carlisle.
The police officers were unsure if he was unwell so called out paramedics, city magistrates heard.
Jandera, of Lichen Grove, Harraby, was unsteady on his feet and slurred his words, before becoming abusive, prosecutor Diane Jackson said.
He was unable to provide a breath test at the scene and was taken to Durranhill police station where a test showed he was more than twice the legal limit with 90mg of alcohol in 100ml of breath. Jandera told the court he had a row with his girlfriend, went home and bought a half litre bottle of vodka and drank some.
He then decided to go back to his girlfriend’s house but, when he got to Langrigg Road, parked in the layby opposite the Royal Scot pub. He realised he was drunk, he said, and thought he would just sleep it off. Officers found the bottle of vodka in the car with a small amount left in it.
Jandera was banned from driving for three years and fined £100 with £85 costs and £15 victim surcharge.
First published at 11:26, Monday, 05 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (103 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (34 comments)
- Have your say on how much to pay Cumbria's county councillors
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (13 comments)
- Health chiefs' secret plans to split north Cumbria's hospitals (47 comments)
- Bid to use BT phone kiosks to house defibrillators (16 comments)
- Theft-hit Carlisle church forced to close its doors (12 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (169 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (37 comments)
- We ARE talking to a billionaire say Carlisle Utd owners (31 comments)
- State-of-the-art buses in Carlisle blasted by passengers
- Vulcan bomber thrills crowds at Carlisle fly past (6 comments)
- Cumbrian couple's wedding to be one in a Minion (5 comments)