Carlisle man found slumped at wheel after row with girlfriend
Last updated at 11:28, Monday, 05 March 2012
An alcoholic was found slumped over the wheel of his parked car in Carlisle after downing vodka following a row with his girlfriend.
Fifty-nine-year-old Frank Jandera was discovered by police in his Ford Fiesta on February 16 outside the Royal Scot pub on Langrigg Road, Morton Park, Carlisle.
The police officers were unsure if he was unwell so called out paramedics, city magistrates heard.
Jandera, of Lichen Grove, Harraby, was unsteady on his feet and slurred his words, before becoming abusive, prosecutor Diane Jackson said.
He was unable to provide a breath test at the scene and was taken to Durranhill police station where a test showed he was more than twice the legal limit with 90mg of alcohol in 100ml of breath. Jandera told the court he had a row with his girlfriend, went home and bought a half litre bottle of vodka and drank some.
He then decided to go back to his girlfriend’s house but, when he got to Langrigg Road, parked in the layby opposite the Royal Scot pub. He realised he was drunk, he said, and thought he would just sleep it off. Officers found the bottle of vodka in the car with a small amount left in it.
Jandera was banned from driving for three years and fined £100 with £85 costs and £15 victim surcharge.
First published at 11:26, Monday, 05 March 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)