Carlisle man arrested after fracas on city-bound train
Last updated at 12:13, Wednesday, 15 May 2013
A man went to the aid of his wife after she was confronted by a group of men when she went to the toilet on the Newcastle-to-Carlisle train.
The husband and wife were on the last train back to Carlisle on April 27 when he heard a ‘loud scream’ moments after his wife went to use the toilets, Carlisle magistrates court heard.
He went to find six men ‘shouting abuse’ at her, he said, and he was worried for her safety.
Prosecutor Adrienne Harris said there was an altercation and Darren Furness, of Cumwhinton Road, Harraby, was taken off the train at Haltwhistle.
He was arrested for being drunk and disorderly on the platform after he became abusive and aggressive to police officers.
Furness, 33, admitted being drunk and disorderly but said he heard his wife scream and ‘went to protect her’.
“The men were shouting abuse at her,” he said.
He admitted he had been drinking. District judge Gerald Chalk said it was an aggravated offence because it took place in full view of the public. Furness was fined £100 and ordered to pay £85 court costs and a £20 victim surcharge.
His case comes after rail unions warned behaviour on the late night service from Newcastle to Carlisle was becoming so bad staff wanted to boycott working on it.
After police were forced to use pepper spray on suspects following drink-fuelled disorder, Craig Johnston, of the RMT, revealed that a number of his members, some of whom “dread” going to work on a Saturday night, wanted industrial action.
Last week, a woman from Harraby was in court after she unzipped her onesie, exposed her chest and performed a sex act with a man from Cargo on the 7.25pm service on March 9.
Andrea Linda Blackbourne, 26, of Hillary Grove, pleaded guilty to outraging public decency by behaving in an indecent manner.
Martin John McLean, 22, of Miros, Cargo, also admitted outraging public decency by behaving in an indecent manner by being involved in a sex act on a train.
The court heard how a woman witness told police that Blackbourne was in a carriage with some female friends dressed in costumes.
She got out of her seat and unzipped her onesie costume, exposing her breasts before walking towards the men as others cheered her on.
The witness described it as like watching ‘a live porn show’.
The two were both sentenced to a curfew to stay indoors between 8pm and 7am for the next four months.
First published at 11:50, Wednesday, 15 May 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (40 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (3 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (30 comments)
- Carlisle's Civic Centre to stop taking cash payments (14 comments)
- Staff moved so Cumbrian council can rent out office (5 comments)
- Premier Inn gets go-ahead for town centre hotel (14 comments)
- Carlisle Cathedral revamp plans slammed (39 comments)
- Why is Cumbrian coastguard HQ being moved inland? (21 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|