Carlisle judge brands drug dealer’s tale ‘rubbish’
Last updated at 12:23, Monday, 14 April 2014
Carlisle’s top judge refused to sentence a drug dealer after he described part of his story as “arrant rubbish”.
Judge Paul Batty QC was due to pass sentence on Derek Bain, 36, who was found to have nearly £2,000-worth of drugs in his car after he was stopped last June for bad driving.
Bain was also charged with possessing an offensive weapon after police also found a ring studded with several bits of metal.
But at an earlier hearing that charge was dropped when the prosecution accepted his claim that it was a piece of his girlfriend’s jewellery.
On hearing that – and seeing a photograph of the ‘ring’ – Judge Batty refused to accept such a claim, even though it had been accepted by fellow judge Barbara Forrester at the first hearing.
Judge Batty sent Bain to be sentenced by Judge Forrester.
Her court heard that Bain, of Keppoch Hill Road, Glasgow, had been stopped at Low Row, near Brampton, and was found with 3,368 diazepam tablets.
Bain was given a nine-month prison sentence, suspended for two years and ordered to do 120 hours of unpaid community work.
First published at 12:20, Monday, 14 April 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Italian chain planning Carlisle city centre restaurant (7 comments)
- West Cumbrian police station will not be casualty of cuts, MP told (3 comments)
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- Primark to open store in Carlisle (111 comments)
- Fire stations and care homes at risk in Cumbria council cuts (47 comments)
- Cumbria police may be reduced to 'blue light' service if funding cuts go-ahead (63 comments)
- Lawyers told to find way out of Carlisle hospital's 'crippling' PFI contract (50 comments)
Court & crime
- No room for hate in a broken heart
- We shouldn’t lose sight of the kindness and compassion (8 comments)
- Primed not to care (2 comments)
- Not just cutout cops who face the chop (5 comments)
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|