Carlisle gran's boozed up racist rant
Last updated at 11:54, Wednesday, 19 March 2014
A drunken gran swore and used racist language towards a taxi driver.
Jean Kenny, 57, also failed to pay for the cab ride in Carlisle – and was fined by magistrates after being charged for the offences.
Kenny, of Grey Street, off London Road, Carlisle, went to visit her grandchildren but when she got to her son’s house he told her she was too drunk to see them, North Cumbria Magistrates’ Court heard.
She then got a taxi to take her and a friend home. But when the cab arrived, she swore and used racist words towards the driver, who is from Bangladesh.
When she got home she told the driver she would go into the house for the fare, which was £8.10 but never returned. After knocking on the door and getting no answer he called police.
Kenny admitted making off without payment and using threatening, abusive or insulting words to cause a person harassment and that the offence was racially aggravated.
John Cooper, in mitigation, said Kenny was not a racist and had “no racist tendencies” adding that if she had been sober the incident would not have happened.
Magistrates fined Kenny £110, with court costs of £85 and compensation of £8.10 to the driver.
First published at 11:44, Wednesday, 19 March 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (18 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)