X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Tuesday, 30 September 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Carlisle driver crashed car on way to hospital

A 77-year-old driver who hit another car as he drove to hospital has been banned from the roads and ordered to take his test again.

Roland Stephen Wood, of Mountain View, off Scotland Road, Carlisle, denied careless driving and driving without insurance and claimed a police officer and female driver “concocted a story” which led to his court appearance.

Carlisle magistrates court heard how Wood overtook another car as it turned right to enter the hospital grounds, colliding with it.

The court heard how the other driver, Joan Dixon, had been heading along Newtown Road, from Caldewgate, on January 17, and stopped at the Infirmary Street junction to turn in.

Wood, who was behind her, overtook as she turned and crashed into her. He then parked at a butchers shop on Newtown Road and refused to talk to her or even give her his details. She took a note of his registration number and contacted police.

The court heard how Wood was interviewed by police two days later, on January 19.

He claimed the officer and Miss Dixon had “colluded and concocted a story to blame [him”, he said.

He said she was moving when the collision took place and he had “done nothing wrong.”

Magistrates asked him if he had seen Miss Dixon indicate to turn right and whether her light was flashing.

“If it was, I didn’t see it,” he said.

Wood refused to sign his police statement – a record of his interview – saying that it was a concoction as well.

He was a driving his friend’s car, a Peugeot 106, at the time, taking his sister to the Cumberland Infirmary, and believed his friend’s insurance policy would cover him.

“If I believed I was not insured I wouldn’t have driven,” he said.

Wood was convicted of both offences after a two-hour trial yesterday. Magistrates told him they believed he overtook the other car, causing the crash.

Wood was ordered to pay £75 prosecution costs and given a £55 fine for driving without due care and a £20 victim surcharge. He was disqualified from driving until he passes an extended driving test.

There was no separate penalty for driving without insurance.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

News & Star What's On search





Vote

Do you have faith promises made about our hospitals will be kept?

Yes. It might take time but we'll get there in the end

No. Money dictates everything, we will lose more than we gain

The NHS is a political football - it depends who wins next year's election

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for:
NEWS & STAR ON: