Carlisle dad was drunk in car with children - court
Last updated at 12:08, Wednesday, 18 June 2014
A dad appeared in court for child neglect after he took his children – and a bottle of vodka – to the cinema in Carlisle.
The man, who cannot be identified but is 40 years old and lives in the Stanwix area, admitted two charges of child neglect when he appeared before magistrates.
The court heard how he took his two children, both younger than 10, to the cinema on May 30 before heading to Morrison’s, on Scotland Road, in his car to shop.
Prosecutor Sarah Rogers said staff became concerned because he was “swaying around and seemed intoxicated”.
The police were called and the man failed a breath test and was arrested and taken to Durranhill police station. He failed to provide a breath test there because “he wasn’t blowing hard enough”.
Mrs Rogers said he told police he had taken half a bottle of vodka to the cinema and drank it there.
“He drove into town, then up to the Morrison’s store,” she said. “He had two children in the car, while he was drunk, and exposed them to risk”.
Defence solicitor Chris Toms said the man was “totally ashamed and devastated”.
“He has numerous health problems but has stayed off alcohol for six months,” he said. “This was a relapse”.
Magistrates ordered a pre-sentence report on the man, who also admitted failing to provide a breath test.
He was released on bail until July 8 for sentence.
First published at 11:59, Wednesday, 18 June 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Italian chain planning Carlisle city centre restaurant (7 comments)
- West Cumbrian police station will not be casualty of cuts, MP told (3 comments)
- Council tax to rise as Carlisle tries to cope with cuts (35 comments)
- Petition demands Carlisle council action over dog mess and litter (19 comments)
- Primark to open store in Carlisle (111 comments)
- Fire stations and care homes at risk in Cumbria council cuts (47 comments)
- Cumbria police may be reduced to 'blue light' service if funding cuts go-ahead (63 comments)
- Lawyers told to find way out of Carlisle hospital's 'crippling' PFI contract (50 comments)
Court & crime
- No room for hate in a broken heart
- We shouldn’t lose sight of the kindness and compassion (8 comments)
- Primed not to care (2 comments)
- Not just cutout cops who face the chop (5 comments)
- More Anne Pickles
|NEWS & STAR ON:|