Thursday, 26 November 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Fire crews deal with major blaze at waste recycling site

Firefighters worked into the night to fully extinguish a major fire at a Carlisle recycling centre.

Fire crews were called to the blaze in a huge warehouse containing cardboard at Cumbria Waste Management on Kingmoor Road at about 3.45pm yesterday (Thursday).

Some were still on site at 1pm today (Friday) 'damping down' to ensure the fire does not reignite and removing remaining material from the building.

Thick plumes of black smoke - visible for miles around - spread out from the scene yesterday, prompting police to advise nearby residents to take precautionary measures.

While the risk to health was low, it was feared the smoke may have contained asbestos.

It drifted slowly north eastwards throughout the night and people on Kingmoor Road and in Houghton were advised to stay indoors and make sure their doors and windows were closed.

However, shortly before midnight police confirmed there was no danger to the public.

Debris was blown on to Kingmoor Road and police are urging people not to touch it.

Cumbria Waste Management will be working with the city council to remove the debris.

Kingmoor Road was closed between Hartley Avenue and the Carlisle 'bypass' roundabout until this evening (Friday).

At the scene during the afternoon, chief inspector Matt Kennerley told the News & Star: "We are here for public safety and we are looking at the smoke as well.

"We cannot at this point say what is burning.

"Our advice to local residents is to please stay indoors and close your doors and windows.

"We are trying to keep people a safe distance from the smoke."

Anyone who feels they may have inhaled smoke and is feeling unwell or has concerns, should contact NHS Direct on 111 or their GP.

The site was evacuated when the fire broke out. No-one is believed to have been hurt.

People living some distance away reported hearing a number of "bangs and crackles".

Have your say

COMPO TIME! I already contacted my no win no fee lawyer and I live in Silloth! I had to close all my windows because of the smell. Thinking about it, it might just have been Wigton, but, what the heck, you have to try nowadays.........

Posted by P Doff on 17 July 2014 at 20:21

ref. Colin's post of 15.7.2014, prudent management would have looked hard at removal of ALL asbestos to avoid the health risk to employees, tradesmen and neighbours should activity arise e.g.A FIRE!
Cumbria Waste Management Ltd, owned by Cumbria County Council, saved money by not taking that action BUT the cost will paid by employees and neighbours in future decades. It is wrong to state there is no health risk from the fire.

Posted by OLD LOCHINVAR on 17 July 2014 at 17:30

View all 43 comments on this article

Make your comment

Your name

Your Email

Your Town/City

Your comment


News & Star What's On search


Is The Autumn Statement good news for Cumbria?

Yes - the enterprise zone jobs and airport flights are a fantastic boost

It's more positive than expected but could have been better

I agree with Jamie Reed, it is all smoke and mirrors

Show Result

Hot jobs
Scan for our iPhone and Android apps
Search for: