Carlisle city centre road junction to close for repairs
Last updated at 10:00, Thursday, 04 September 2014
A busy Carlisle city centre junction is to be closed for resurfacing work.
But work on Victoria Place – at its junction with Georgian Way – is to be carried out overnight to minimise disruption for drivers.
Cumbria County Council estimates that the upgrade, starting on Monday, will take three nights.
The scheme is the latest in a string of road improvements in and around the city, including resurfacing Hardwicke Circus.
Work at Victoria Place will be carried out between 7pm and 6am on each night and the Victoria Place/Georgian Way/Spencer Street junction will be closed to traffic.
A signed diversion route – via the A69, A7 and A595 – will be in place on each night. A way will be maintained for pedestrians and dismounted cyclists.
Traffic will run as normal during the day.
A county council spokesman said: “Work of this nature is likely to be noisy at times and, while the council will try to keep the noise to a minimum wherever possible, we apologise for any inconvenience to residents.
“It is not feasible to carry out the works during daytime because of the sensitive location on a main route into Carlisle.”
First published at 09:59, Thursday, 04 September 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Government backs plan to divert traffic away from Warwick Bridge (26 comments)
- A595 is Cumbria's most dangerous road, police figures show (29 comments)
- Calls for action on future of derelict Carlisle hotel (38 comments)
- Improving A66 and A69 road 'very tricky and complex' says highways boss (48 comments)
- Dogs banned from some parks and spaces in Cumbria (62 comments)
- Hundreds offer to quit Cumbria County Council (50 comments)
- Parking ban on staff at Carlisle's Cumberland Infirmary (116 comments)
- National Grid reveals route for new power lines network (36 comments)
- New council base could bring hundreds of jobs to Workington (17 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|