Carlisle cannabis pair avoid jail
Last updated at 09:22, Saturday, 09 August 2014
Two men caught growing cannabis at a Carlisle house have avoided jail.
Lee Kerr, 26, and John Dalzell 46, were arrested last November after police found a small cannabis farm in a house in Harraby.
Dalzell, of Hillary Grove, where the search was carried out, had pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing, but insisted he had just been “accommodating” Kerr’s cannabis-growing equipment. Kerr, of Warnell Drive, Harraby, insisted it was Dalzell who was the ringleader.
He had also admitted cultivating cannabis, but claimed the plants belonged to Dalzell.
Brendan Burke, prosecuting, told the court police had discovered 13 cannabis plants plus equipment for growing them.
This could have produced 659.1g (almost 1.5lbs) of the drug, which would have had a street value of £6,591.
Both men stuck by their previous stories in court and Recorder Simon Medland QC, presiding, said the operation was a small-scale one.
Malcolm Dodds, defending Dalzell, described his client as a “lonely alcoholic” and said he would be suitable for a curfew.
He added: “He never goes out anyway so it wouldn’t be a problem for him.”
Recorder Medland gave both men a six-month prison sentence, suspended for 12 months.
Dalzell was given a three-month curfew while Kerr was ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work.
First published at 09:20, Saturday, 09 August 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)