Carlisle cannabis pair avoid jail
Last updated at 09:22, Saturday, 09 August 2014
Two men caught growing cannabis at a Carlisle house have avoided jail.
Lee Kerr, 26, and John Dalzell 46, were arrested last November after police found a small cannabis farm in a house in Harraby.
Dalzell, of Hillary Grove, where the search was carried out, had pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing, but insisted he had just been “accommodating” Kerr’s cannabis-growing equipment. Kerr, of Warnell Drive, Harraby, insisted it was Dalzell who was the ringleader.
He had also admitted cultivating cannabis, but claimed the plants belonged to Dalzell.
Brendan Burke, prosecuting, told the court police had discovered 13 cannabis plants plus equipment for growing them.
This could have produced 659.1g (almost 1.5lbs) of the drug, which would have had a street value of £6,591.
Both men stuck by their previous stories in court and Recorder Simon Medland QC, presiding, said the operation was a small-scale one.
Malcolm Dodds, defending Dalzell, described his client as a “lonely alcoholic” and said he would be suitable for a curfew.
He added: “He never goes out anyway so it wouldn’t be a problem for him.”
Recorder Medland gave both men a six-month prison sentence, suspended for 12 months.
Dalzell was given a three-month curfew while Kerr was ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work.
First published at 09:20, Saturday, 09 August 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- The rise and fall of Carlisle's Celtic Nation (17 comments)
- Historic Carlisle house could be demolished (51 comments)
- Plans for 100 homes in Cumbrian town set to be approved (11 comments)
- Carlisle mobile phone problems are priority, says Vodafone (33 comments)
- Six issues to fix Cumbria's healthcare revealed (11 comments)
- Thousands of starfish stranded on Cumbrian beach (11 comments)
- Takeaway boss blames council building site in Carlisle for lack of trade (25 comments)
- Row over Tory MP hopeful's election banner in Carlisle (68 comments)
Court & crime
|NEWS & STAR ON:|