Carlisle builder who botched house extension fined by court
Last updated at 12:32, Monday, 23 April 2012
A builder who botched a kitchen extension has been fined £4,000 for breach of building regulations.
Work carried out by Steve Goodwin Windows – Doors – Conservatories was so shoddy that the walls were not properly attached to the roof, Carlisle magistrates heard.
Goodwin, of Hillcrest Close, Carlisle, built the single-storey extension in Hartley Avenue, Belah, last summer.
The court was told about a catalogue of defects.
The extension lacked sufficient insulation and ventilation, and a vertical damp-proof course.
Goodwin failed to secure the cavity wall to the dwelling wall, or the wall to roof, and he did not fit an extractor fan.
The prosecution, brought by Carlisle City Council, alleged that Goodwin did not carry out works with adequate and proper materials or in a proper manner. And that he failed to meet requirements relating to building work or to submit an application under the building regulations and that he failed to give notice of the start and finish of certain stages of work.
The council says it attempted to contact Goodwin to discuss the job.
But he declined to speak to its building control section. Goodwin did not appear at the hearing last week but pleaded guilty by post and was sentenced in his absence.
In addition to the fine, he was ordered to pay a £15 victim surcharge and £75 costs. Speaking afterwards, Goodwin’s victim said: “I am pleased that the council have got him.
“ I don’t want to see anyone else getting done by him the way we have been.”
Problems came to light when a plasterer came in to work on the extension.
The family had to bring in another builder to put right the defects. The News & Star attempted to contact Goodwin but there was no response at his flat in Hillcrest Close.
A telephone listing for his business on various web sites proved to be a wrong number. A couple in Gallery House, Harraby Green, say they often get calls for Goodwin who has nothing to do with them.
First published at 11:30, Monday, 23 April 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Historic Carlisle pub closing for major revamp (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new HQ: How it could look (42 comments)
- Senior Cumbrian councillor’s warning over Rotherham abuse scandal (14 comments)
- Police ask for takeaway 'bouncers' to help curb late night disorder (16 comments)
- Three Cumbrian areas named in top 10 best places to live in England (30 comments)
- Derelict former hotel in Carlisle has no owner (43 comments)
- Carlisle council gives go-ahead to city airport overhaul (124 comments)
- Lovell gets go-ahead to build 217 new homes in west Cumbria (14 comments)
- Cumbrian man tells why he has right to be forgotten on Google (16 comments)
- 64 jobs at risk as factory bosses warn of possible closure (15 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (10 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (1 comment)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|