Carlisle bar owner in talks over second outlet
Last updated at 16:00, Saturday, 03 May 2014
A bar owner in Carlisle is hoping to expand his business.
Sam Norman, who owns The Shabby Scholar in Carlyles Court, wants to get a premises licence for an empty unit in the same courtyard – between Fisher Street and St Mary’s Gate.
Sam said it would the “same kind of concept” but in a new location.
“I’m trying to cash in now while I’m still busy,” he explained. “I am in the process of negotiating a lease as I am looking to expand .”
The new unit, which used to be a bridal shop, would be called Scholars Corner.
Sam, 26, said: “I want to put a bar in and an open kitchen and it would also give us some more space to store things.
“We’ll have tables and chairs in there and the idea is to serve food – it would basically be a tweak on the current Shabby menu.”
Pizzas, stack burgers and tapas in the evening are just some of the ideas Sam has for the new unit. He hopes to open by August and catch some of the summer trade.
“I know these things take time and it takes a while to get leases and licences sorted but it would be good if I could open before then,” he said. “There are lots of hurdles to get over but I’m hoping there will be no objections. It would give us a chance to increase our revenue and have some extra storage space.”
Sam, a university graduate, opened the Shabby Scholar in January 2013 and now runs one of the busiest bars in Carlisle.
He said: “We’ve done really well since we opened. We’re fully booked now on Saturday nights until November and on Friday nights until October.”
The Shabby Scholar takes its name from its close proximity to the University of Cumbria and the fact that its decor is “shabby chic”.
First published at 15:59, Saturday, 03 May 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Keith Curle named as new Carlisle United boss (19 comments)
- Scotland says 'No' to independence (16 comments)
- Children find drug needles in Cumbrian alleyway (6 comments)
- University of Cumbria among most gay-friendly in UK (8 comments)
- Car park in Cumbrian town to close for a month (10 comments)
- X-Factor star's Carlisle gig cancelled (15 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in crisis after equalling worst run ever (56 comments)
- Whitehaven appoint new boss (12 comments)
- Worried Scots opening bank accounts in Carlisle (46 comments)
- £1bn tidal lagoon could be built off Cumbrian coast (44 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (12 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (2 comments)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Scottish independence: Cumbria border posts warning if yes vote (105 comments)
- Carlisle Utd boss Graham Kavanagh sacked (74 comments)
- Keith Curle in pole position to become Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Ex-Liverpool ace on bookies list to become new Carlisle Utd boss (56 comments)
- Carlisle 'receptive' to UKIP, reveals new study (54 comments)