Carlisle Airport decision likely in next three weeks
Last updated at 12:25, Saturday, 22 February 2014
A farmer opposed to expansion plans for Carlisle Airport must wait to hear the outcome of his latest legal battle with the local council.
Mr Justice Collins, one of the country’s most experienced planning judges, has reserved his decision in the case in which Thomas Brown, from Irthington is hoping he will quash the latest planning permission for a new freight storage and distribution facility at the airport.
The judge will give his judgement in writing, likely in the next three weeks.
The latest round of the legal battle came more than three years after Mr Brown won a ruling from London’s Court of Appeal quashing the council’s previous grant of planning permission.
However, in February 2013, the council granted a fresh permission for a freight distribution centre and the raising and re-profiling of the runway. The permission was made subject to a “section 106 agreement” imposing an obligation on Stobart Air to keep the airport open and the runway maintained unless it could be shown that the airport is no longer economically viable.
Summarising the case at the start of the hearing, the judge said it amounted to a claim that the council had no power to enter into the agreement, that it didn’t achieve what it was proposed to achieve, and that it was unlawful because it was done behind closed doors.
First published at 12:22, Saturday, 22 February 2014
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Cumbrian MP: We need second jobs (48 comments)
- Cumbrian brothers plan to swim the River Eden (3 comments)
- Carlisle on course to set bizarre club record (2 comments)
- Carlisle barber retiring after 54 years (9 comments)
- Housebuilder reveals plans for hundreds of new homes (39 comments)
- Carlisle shopping centre on sale for £1.5m (30 comments)
- Carlisle's Civic Centre to stop taking cash payments (14 comments)
- Staff moved so Cumbrian council can rent out office (5 comments)
- Premier Inn gets go-ahead for town centre hotel (14 comments)
- Carlisle Cathedral revamp plans slammed (39 comments)
- Why is Cumbrian coastguard HQ being moved inland? (21 comments)