Call to back concert and give campaign fighting chance to save Cumbrian venue
Last updated at 12:21, Friday, 18 January 2013
Tickets have gone on sale for a crucial concert which hopes to save Whitehaven’s Civic Hall from closure.
The Save The Civic all-day music event will take place on Good Friday – with local music lovers invited to show their support for the under-threat venue.
And yesterday details were revealed about how people can buy their tickets.
Whitehaven Civic Hall is currently “proposed for closure” under Copeland Council’s budget cuts, which will see it save £2.6m by 2015.
The council says it can no longer afford to subsidise the venue and proposes to withdraw all funding to managers North Country Leisure (NCL). This will result in the venue’s closure later this year unless a partner organisation can be found to run it without council subsidy.
This has led to event promoters The Mighty Boof, who have held many concerts in the venue over the years, to step up and take action.
They are calling for a show of support and say if the Civic closed there would be no ‘big music venue’ in the town.
They appealed earlier this month for bands and artists to get in touch to perform at the event over three stages.
And now it's time for the public to get behind the cause.
Josh Shepherd, from The Mighty Boof, said: “What we need now is a show of support and a push to make it more profitable to give it a fighting chance of staying open.
“We want people to come and support the Civic and show the council that there is no point in shutting it.”
The Civic is one a number of venues earmarked for closure as the council aims to save £2.6m by 2015. It is due to decide which ones could go in mid-February.
Mighty Boof will be organising the event free of charge as well as the artists who play. All of the profits made will go towards saving the threatened Civic Hall.
Bands and solo artists interested in performing are asked to email email@example.com
First published at 12:17, Friday, 18 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Police call handling shake-up could cut demand on officers (29 comments)
- Cumbrian council set to axe chief executive job (14 comments)
- Former Carlisle hotel one of England's most at risk buildings (21 comments)
- Thirty new Cumbrian entries in Camra's latest 'beer bible' (5 comments)
- Parents furious as children kept out of lessons for flouting uniform rules (85 comments)
- 'Rude' Cumbrian town name banned at national WI fair (43 comments)
- Carlisle's Toni & Guy hair salon shuts (39 comments)
- Plans unveiled to revamp Carlisle's Castle Way (138 comments)
Court & crime
- Carlisle man who had nearly two million child porn images on computer jailed
- Driver lost control and crashed through Carlisle charity shop window
- Carlisle man jailed for lying for cocaine trafficker dad
- Cumbrian man convicted of raid on Dartmouth gift shop
- Men who turned Cumbrian mansion into cannabis farm jailed for total of almost 40 years
|NEWS & STAR ON:|
- Cumbria police crackdown on drivers using mobile phones (6 comments)
- Ex-Lookaround newsreader begins life as woman she always wanted to be (16 comments)
- Reays brings back City Hopper service; pledges more room for buggies (34 comments)
- Parents will be fined if caught smoking in cars carrying children (21 comments)
- Tweet made Austin look a proper Charlie (1 comment)