Work begins on new hospital and health centre in west Cumbria
Last updated at 11:41, Tuesday, 08 May 2012
Work will start today on two major west Cumbrian health developments.
Construction firm Robertson has been chosen to build the long-awaited new £11m Cockermouth Community Hospital and £4m Cleator Moor Health Centre.
The projects are being delivered through the NHS Express (Local Improvement Finance Trust) LIFT programme – a partnership between the NHS and private sector
The two projects were granted planning permission in 2010 but have been awaiting funding approval, which has now been secured.
The Cockermouth hospital will be built on land next to the current Isel Road site, which is more than 100 years old. It will combine GP and community hospital services.
Work is expected to be completed by winter 2013.
The Cleator Moor health centre, on Birks Road, will incorporate a range of health services on one site, with scope for expansion if needed. This work will be complete by next summer.
Robertson opening a new office in Manchester last month.
First published at 11:24, Tuesday, 08 May 2012
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Have your say
- Historic Carlisle pub closing for major revamp (3 comments)
- Cumbria council's new HQ: How it could look (42 comments)
- Senior Cumbrian councillor’s warning over Rotherham abuse scandal (14 comments)
- Police ask for takeaway 'bouncers' to help curb late night disorder (16 comments)
- Three Cumbrian areas named in top 10 best places to live in England (30 comments)
- Derelict former hotel in Carlisle has no owner (43 comments)
- Carlisle council gives go-ahead to city airport overhaul (124 comments)
- Lovell gets go-ahead to build 217 new homes in west Cumbria (14 comments)
- Cumbrian man tells why he has right to be forgotten on Google (16 comments)
- 64 jobs at risk as factory bosses warn of possible closure (15 comments)
Court & crime
- It’s all gone south for us northeners (10 comments)
- Represent us on parking charges (1 comment)
- Take a bite out of me, me, me (4 comments)
- Cumbria: outdoors theme park or sprawling retirement village (2 comments)
- More Mark Green
|NEWS & STAR ON:|